Emergency Operations Director
INDIANAPOLIS – With the forecasted rise in temperatures, Indiana Department of Transportation contractors and maintenance crews will be completing needed pavement patching and striping on I-65 in Marion and Johnson counties before winter sets in.
I-65 traffic should expect long, daytime traffic delays beginning this weekend between the I-465 south leg and State Road 252 near the Shelby/Johnson county line. Due to the early arrival of winter temperatures, some of the work cannot be performed at night.
INDOT urges traffic to avoid and minimize I-65 backups, which are expected to extend for miles, by using U.S. 31 and other alternate routes. For more frequent updates, follow INDOT Southeast or INDOT East Central on Facebook and Twitter at http://www.in.gov/indot/3074.htm or access INDOT’s TrafficWise Traveler Information Service at http://indot.carsprogram.org.
Johnson Co. pavement patching
Starting next year, 14 miles of I-65 will be widened between the Southport Road and S.R. 44 exits. But sections of I-65 have deteriorated such that additional maintenance is needed before the spring.
Beginning tomorrow morning, daytime pavement patching crews plan to close the right lane of I-65 between S.R. 252 (Exit 80) and Whiteland (Exit 95). Weather permitting, crews will close the right lane of I-65 southbound one day next week between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., likely Tuesday, Nov. 25.
Striping new I-65 lanes
INDOT contractors will be working to open one newly paved lane in each direction between Southport Road and I-465 as part of the $40 million Operation Indy Commute interchange improvement project.
Motorists should expect double lane closures during overnight hours and single lane closures during daylight hours through the weekend.
Additional improvements expected to open before the end of this year include:
• A new I-465 lane in each direction between I-65 and Emerson Avenue,
• A two-lane flyover ramp for westbound I-465 traffic entering I-65 southbound to replace the single-lane loop ramp, and
• A second lane for the northbound I-65 exit ramp to eastbound I-465.
SOUTHEAST, Ind.—The Indiana Department of Transportation continues construction work along Interstate 65 between Seymour and Scottsburg.
Tonight’s work requires the State Road 250 ramps to I-65 be closed from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m.
Tomorrow (NOV. 21), these closures will go into effect:
• Northbound I-65 right lane at mile marker 45.0—6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Southbound I-65 left lane at mile marker 46.0—6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Southbound I-65 right lane at mile marker 35.5—6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Southbound I-65 ramp to eastbound S.R. 56—10 a.m. to noon
• Westbound S.R. 56 ramp to southbound I-65—10 a.m. to noon
These lane and ramp closures will be in effect next week beginning Sunday (NOV. 23) at 6 p.m.
• Southbound I-65 left lane at mile marker 40.5—to Wednesday at noon
• Northbound I-65 left lane at mile marker 35.5—to Wednesday at noon
• Northbound I-65 right lane at mile marker 45.0—to Wednesday at noon
• Northbound U.S. Highway 50 loop ramps: northbound I-65 to westbound U.S. 50, eastbound U.S. 50 to northbound I-65—from 8 p.m. Tuesday to 6 a.m. Wednesday
• Southbound I-65 right lane at mile marker 46.0—during the day Monday
• Southbound I-65 right lane at mile marker 50.5—during the day Tuesday
• Southbound U.S. 50 Loop Ramps: southbound I-65 to eastbound U.S. 50, westbound U.S. 50 to southbound I-65—on Tuesday from 8 p.m. to Wednesday at 6 a.m.
John R. Jurgensen Company, the state’s prime contractor for this $54.7 million district pavement project, is repairing and resurfacing 21 miles of pavement on I-65 between State Road 56 in Scott County and U.S. 50 in Jackson County.
A 45 mph speed limit is being enforced where workers are present.